Ok, so I haven’t quite gotten the knack of brownies as good as a box mix, but these are very very close. They are by far the best homemade brownies I’ve found so far. And oddly, I found them in a book I’ve had for years. And when I say years, I mean I got this book before I was married, so it’s probably 30 years old. Honestly, I think they’d be better with frosting, but they aren’t bad.
- 1 cup butter (I used salted)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs (This is why I made brownies, I ended up cracking 2 eggs on accident and didn’t want to waste them)
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of chopped nuts (I, of course, used pecans and I did about 1 and 1/2 cups)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Melt butter (I actually just softened it and that worked too, but next time I will melt to see if it makes a difference), stir in sugar, cocoa, and vanilla. Add in flour, eggs, baking powder, salt. Lastly add in nuts. Pour in greased 9 by 13 inch pan and bake for 30-35 minutes.
So I finally found a date on the book…1991. So yup over 30 years old. Man, where did the time go? I don’t feel like an old woman.