One of my most memorable Valentines day was a couple of years ago.  I believe I was working on My Regelence Rake at the time. The day started out pretty normal. I did some writing and got a nice surprise in the mail. I had just gotten some homemade chocolate turtles in the mail from one of my readers (Janice if you are out there, drop me a line, I miss hearing from you!) and my husband came home for lunch. I felt the first little bit of aura with my vision going all weird, so I took migraine meds. I told my husband I was going to Walmart to get groceries while we were eating lunch. We ate, then he left. 

The next thing I remember is walking around Walmart. I had no buggy and was not even going in the regular pattern I used when going to get groceries. It was like waking up all of a sudden.  I don’t even remember driving up there.  I called my husband at work and said, “I’m at Walmart but I don’t know how I got here or what I came for.” Needless to say, he was worried.  He informed me it was grocery day and that was why I went. He mentioned that I actually left the same time he headed back to work. I said ok.  I think I’m going to go home and put grocery shopping off till tomorrow.  He said okay and we hung up. 

On my way out, I spotted my hubby’s truck pulling into the parking lot. Unbeknownst to me, he’d turned around and come after me instead of going to work. He followed me to the car and then followed me home. As I parked, he was on the phone. Later I discovered it was to get the rest of the day off and arrange for our kids to be picked up after school. He motioned for me to come get in the truck and then drove to the hospital.

I spent most of the afternoon and the early evening in the emergency room waiting to get a CAT scan. Turns out that it was the meds affecting me oddly. I ended up with a new prescription and oddly enough a pleasant evening spent talking to my husband while waiting for the tests.

Honestly, to this day it still doesn’t matter what we do tougher my husband and I still enjoy spending time together. He truly is my best friend in the entire world and there is no one I’d rather spend time with.  So it turned out the be a nice Valentine’s day, albeit a strange one, but what made it so very memorable is my husband’s humor. 

The doctor came in before releasing me and asked, “So what are ya’ll going to do tonight to celebrate Valentine’s Day.” My husband smiled at me and then up at the doctor and said, “We’re doing it.  She wanted to go somewhere expensive, so I brought her here.”  Needless to say, the doctor and I got a good laugh out of it.  

In celebration of that most memorable Valentine’s day and in honor of Janice, I thought I’d share a recipe I got from my aunt. These aren’t as nice looking as Janice’s—she actually had a mold that made the candies look like turtles—but these are very tasty. I’ve made them several times. Enjoy!

I wish you all have a Happy Valentine’s Day and hope you get to spend it with those you love!


Homemade Pecan Millionaires



1 packages Kraft Caramels

2 tbsps evaporated milk

2 cups chopped pecans

1 large Hershey bar

2 tbsps shortening



Melt caramels and the evaporated milk in double boiler. Add pecans and mix well. Drop caramel/pecan mixture by spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet. Cool. Mix Hershey bar with shortening in sauce pan until melted, then dip cooled caramels in chocolate to coat. Place on wax paper to harden.